My decision to stop walking and seek professional advice was the correct decision. The pain and excessive swelling of my outside shin muscle compartment could have been an emergency situation if the swelling and blood didn’t subside and drain, respectively. Thankfully, I stopped as soon as possible, applied ice and rested my leg. I am not going to predict what would have happened if I kept walking, but the result might not have been as favorable as it is today.
As of today, I have been assessed, and a treatment regime to correct this issue now and in the future is underway. The worst news is that I must put my walk on hold until my leg has healed and my orthotics are ready. I expect that I will be back to feeding the mosquitoes and black flies in 3 weeks (estimated). If I could go back to where I stopped — Sprucedale, ON, I would. In the meantime, I am dealing with this event as best as I can.